Monday, March 17, 2008

Loy

I've been working out on a fairly consistent basis for awhile, albeit in a somewhat random fashion. This actually fits in well with Art Devany's prescription to avoid routine. But I feel like I need to establish a few benchmarks where I can compare results over time and see that I'm making some progress. So I've decided to create a few of my own "girls" routines named after the women in my life. So the first will be "Loy"--named after my wife of 32 years. One of the mainstays of the Crossfit WODs is Fran. This calls for doing 90 pound thrusters followed by pullups in sets of 21, 15, and 9 for time. I can't do an unassisted pull up, and 90 pounds is WAY to heavy for me, so here is Loy:

Loy

Thrusters with 30lb barbell
Burpees
21-15-9
For time

NOTES: I went into this concerned that the 30lbs might be a little light but I was influenced by the hard time I had doing a thruster Tabata workout with two 15 pound dumbbells. I think my concerns were justified--I'm probably going to kick this up to 40lbs next time. What I didn't count on was the burpees KICKING MY BUTT!! I'm just talking some plain ole vanilla burpees - no pushups or jumping up and clapping hands, etc. They may not develop muscle like pullups, but they sure fit the bill for metabolic conditioning. Damn, I was breathing hard! At any rate, I completed this in 7:00. I'm going to do it with 40lbs for the thrusters next time out and keep it there so future comparisons will be valid.

Bonus work:

Pullups 10 x 2 (gravitron at 90)
15 GHD situps.

No comments: