Thursday, May 1, 2008

No, It Ain't Rabbit Food!

Below is a sight that can be seen around 2pm every weekday inside a windowless office on Corpus Christi Naval Air Station.



When I first logged onto Mark's Daily Apple around nine months ago, I read Mark's description of his big salad that he eats daily. I immediately started doing the same thing, and it's been an essential part of my nutrition ever since. I try to vary the ingredients often but the overall construction plan is always the same--lots of green stuff and other veggies with some protein thrown in as well. I had been using a slightly smaller bowl then the one in the picture, but this one makes it easier to toss a large salad with losing some of it over the sides! The composition of this salad was something like this:

Romaine lettuce
Green Leaf lettuce
Spinach
Red Cabbage
Broccoli
Onion
One apple (Fuji)
One Tomato
A Few Artichoke Hearts
Tuna

I top it off with some Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing. I think it's a pretty decent compromise between a healthy, home-made dressing and the convenience of a commercial product.

I had never put an apple in a salad before I started making these, but I really like the mixture of tastes sensation in this salad, and the apple really adds to that. I'll throw some mango or even a banana in there sometimes. Instead of tuna I might throw in some left over pork or beef from the last evening's meal. Just about anything is game for inclusion in my Big Ass Salad!!!

My plan was that the picture would have shown the salad better, but by the time my co-worker had downloaded and emailed the picture to me, I had already eaten half of it!!

No comments: