Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Press 'n Squat

I know I've flip-flopped more than a politician on my weight lifting methodolgy but I think I'm back to the hierarchal model to stay. I started this way at first but then switched to the 3 x 5 method when I was having trouble with the overhead press. The decision to go back is based on a couple of things--the fact that I haven't had any formal training in doing the lifts properly, and that I workout alone. The hierarchal model calls for doing every lift with good form and not flirting with failure. So I think it's much safer way for me to work out. So here's what I managed at lunch time today:

Overhead Press

15 x 45lbs
7 x 55lbs
4 x 55lbs

Squat

15 x 135lbs
8 x 185
4 x 195

Incline Dumbell Press

15 x 15lbs
8 x 20lbs
8 x 25lbs
4 x 30lbs

Pull Ups

2 sets of 8 (Gravitron on 70)

Notes: The press is obviously still a problem. Even though I had worked up to three sets of 85lbs, doing that opening set of 15 really does me in. I think I will either start with doing these with the set of non-olympic barbells with a lower weight, or use dumbbells. The squat went pretty well but I shortened up on the eighth rep in that second set. I decided to go with 195 instead of 205 for the last set to be on the safe side. I wasn't sure what weight to start the dumbbell set and I went too low. I'll bump that up next time.

No comments: