Monday, June 9, 2008

Crash and Burn - So Much for 90 Day No Cheat

Well, so much for my 90 day no cheat plan. I made it through 39 days just fine but it came to a screeching halt this past Saturday. I went to my son's house for my daughter-in-law's birthday. It started well. I brought my own chunk of grass-fed beef for him to throw on the grill, and he had some grilled veggies as well. I saw the birthday cake they had and I apologized in advance for not eating any. But a couple glasses of wine later I gave in, and ate a couple of fairly big pieces of cake with a little ice cream on the side. Sunday I repeated the whole process again.

So today I embark on the 52-day no cheat plan! I need to add one more stipulation to increase the chances I'll stick to it to the end; namely, no more than one glass of wine in the evening. There is definitely a pattern where I get a get a bit of a buzz from the wine, and the next thing you know I have the damn munchies (must be left over conditioning from the 70s). So I will limit myself to sharing one small glass with my wife during our late evening porch-sitting session, but no more. And after that, I'm going to go straight into my brushing and flossing routine. That has helped me in the past to cement the idea that the end of the eating day has passed. Once I reach my target weight, I will probably throw in a monthly indulgence day. Mark Sisson even suggested something like that in one of his posts. I'll have a bowl of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla and not worry about it. But for now I really want to stay on track and try to get close to the 190lb mark by the end of July. My rate of loss over the last couple of months says that I wont get there, but I at least want to make good progress towards that goal.

No comments: