Wednesday, July 2, 2008

More on Fitday

After a shaky attempted start awhile back, I'm now doing a good job of keeping track of my eating using Fitday. I think it's really going to help me achieve my fat loss goals. When you are eating increased fat, it's real easy to go overboard on the calories without realizing it. There have been a couple of interesting blog posts on the pitfalls of ignoring calories when trying to drop pounds. I didn't realize how many calories I was adding to my salad by just opening up the bottle of dressing and letting it pour. The stuff I use has 150 calories for two tablespoons so I have to be a little more cautious about the amount. Once I achieve my goals, I think it will be easy judge what to eat without having to worry about counting calories, but in the meantime, I'll continue to use this tool to ensure I stay on track.

One of the other intersting things about Fitday is that it can give you reports on the percentage of the RDA of vitamins and minerals in your diet. I still have a relatively small amount of data to draw from, but I just ran a weekly report and I'm doing well with some exceptions. I'm doing great with the water soluble vitamins (C, Thiaman, Riboflavin, B-6, B-12, Niacin) with the exception of Folate (52.85%). Fat soluble is a different story. I'm showing a deficiency in D, E, and K. I'm a little suspicious that Fitday is shorting me on the K since I eat a lot of spinach and other leafy greens which are good sources of K. I'm also ok on trace minerals (iron, zinc, selenium) but I'm short on calcium and magnesium. I do take a multivitamin and my fish oil supplement contains E as well, so all-in-all, it looks like I'm doing well. I'll probably do better when I increase my overall calorie count.


My weekly macronutrient totals for the week are 51% fat, 23% protein, and 21% carbs. The numbers are skewed because on Saturday I had a big bowl of ice cream during my granddaughter's birthday party. Typically fat and protien are a little higher.


No comments: