Thursday, July 31, 2008

100 Pushups

There was a link this past weekend on Mark's Daily Apple to a site that caught my interest. The site is www.hudredpushups.com. It contains a program that is designed to get one to a point where it is possible to do 100 pushups in a row. As I have documented many times in my blog, my upper body development is way behind my lower body. I started making some progress earlier when I was doing some resistance work with regularity. However, due to some problems I was having with dizziness, and my increasing desire to play racquetball, I haven't done much lately. So this looks like a good way to get some upper body work in, especially since I can do it at home with no equipment. I once read an article, or a post somewhere, where the author chided people for doing weight lifting when they couldn't do simple body weight exercises. So I'm going to concentrate on doing pushups for awhile.

The program on the website looks a little shaky. They want you to start by seeing how many pushups you can do in one shot, and based on that, you follow a table with the progression outlined. The starting test has categories of 0-5 pushups, 6-10, and more than 10. This is where a bit of a problem exists. Let's say you can do six good pushups. Then the very first workout has you do two sets of 7, then three more sets of lesser amounts. Obviously a person in that position is dead in the water from the start. It just happens that I can do 10 so I'm at the high end of the scale. I still see where I may have to modify or repeat weeks to keep going, but the bottom line is that I should benefit greatly from trying the program consistently. So here's what I've done up to this point:

Monday: 7, 7, 5, 4, 5
Wednesday: 9, 8, 6, 5, 7

The fifth set is "max" but with a minimum. In each case I hit the minimum with some form break.
Friday I'm supposed to do 10, 8, 8, 5, >9...we'll see.

Otherwise...I played racquetball Tuesday with Ron. Lost four but I scored 7, 8, 11, and 6 points.
I've also kept up with my bicycle work commute all this week. That's 28 miles as of this morning.

There's a major pig-out at the office today--pot luck for a retiring employee. I plan on dropping in, saying hi, and then getting the hell out of there! I'm heading to the gym!!!

No comments: