Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Too Much Racquetball (or Not Enough Food)

When I started playing again after straining a hip flexor, I started slow. I played once or twice a week, and always had at least one day off between matches--preferably two. Slowly but surely, I've been playing more--sometimes as much as four days a week but usually with a break in the middle. Well today I played my third match in as many days, and they were all hard fought games. I felt very tired in the last game today, and felt light-headed while I was in the locker room. The feeling continued when I got back to the office. I ended up calling my wife and asking her to pick me up because I really didn't feel like riding the bike home. I think the reason I felt bad can be traced to the fact that I recently cut back on my carb intake trying to jump start my fat burning. But I'm guessing that three days of back-to-back intense workouts on the court are just too much while eating so few carbs. I'm going to bump the carbs a little but I also need to back off a little on the racquetball. My whole program of nutrition and exercise is based on Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint which calls for some short interval sessions, some weight lifting, and lots of low-level activity. Well, my racquetball matches are on a continuum that runs from "intervals" to "extended high-level cardio." Three days in a row is just too much. Ideally I'd like to play three days, preferably with a day off between each match.

I think I'll go for a walk at lunch time tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mark Sisson said...

Glad to hear your using the Primal Blueprint. I understand how the vigorous matches combined with low carb eating can be difficult. My post about primal compromises for athletes may have some helpful info. Cheers!