Monday, September 29, 2008

Great Thursday, Good Friday (at first), Lousy Weekend

Very good day on Thursday. The racquetball courts opened up earlier than expected and I took three games from Neal. My serve was a big factor but I also scored some crucial points from plain old hustle. There will normally be several points in a match that require some serious sprinting back and forth to keep the ball in play. That's why I consider racquetball my "interval workout" to go with the steady pace work of cycling and walking. They make a great combination.

Before I hit the courts on Thursday, I headed between the library stacks for my second attempt at the 20-15-15-12 pushup set. To my surprise, I completed it--all with good form. I did, however, take some fairly long breaks between the attempts so I'm going to repeat this one for awhile and reduce the recovery times before moving on.

I had a good ride into work on Friday, and went to eat lunch with my grandson like I do every Friday. But towards the end of the workday, I was feeling a little light-headed. I immediately chalked it up to my ongoing effort to get my blood pressure medication right; however, a couple hours after getting home, it was apparent that something else was going on. I soon found myself battling chills, muscle ache, and a low grade fever. This carried on throughout the weekend along with a pretty bad case of diarrhea. I still honored my commitment to officiate two swim meets this weekend, but I performed functions that allowed me to sit down most of the time.
Standing for long periods was not an option.

So now instead of using my last eight hours of vacation I have left to go play some golf, I'm using them to sit home and recover (no sick leave in my government contract). I could have gone in today but I'd like to give my intestines a chance to calm down before putting a day in at the office. I also need to do some hydrating today because I know I haven't been drinking enough to counteract the effects of the diarrhea. I've already cancelled racquetball for tomorrow and I'll probably drive to work rather than take the bike. Hopefully I be back to full speed by the end of the week.

No comments: