Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Look at the Past for a Glimpse of the Future




I was looking through some old files on my computer yesterday while considering putting up a Veteran's Day related post when I ran across this photo. This was taken in '86 or '87 while I was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base. I was at the peak of my running phase--this would have been taken close to the time I had completed the Las Vegas marathon, and while I was running 40-50 miles a week. My weight then floated in a window between 182 and 187. If I was gearing up for fast 10K, then I would make an effort to get to the lower end of that range. This was a good news/bad news situation. The good news was that I felt like I was in great shape, and despite being a slow runner (my fastest mile was 5:55 on a slight downhill with a tailwind), I could still run a pretty decent 10K (40:18 PR). The bad news was that I was often fighting injuries like a bad case of trochanteric bursitis and a chronic case of plantar faciitis. As a matter of fact, it was the PF that finally caused me to abandon running and take up cycling.

This is what I want my "after" photo to look like except with a little more upper body development. Fifteen pounds to go!!

1 comment:

Marc said...

Keep going....you're going to get there.

Blogger.....wonderful isn't it? ;-)


Marc