Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blood Pressure and Racquetball

As I've posted before, I've been working with my doctor trying to get my blood pressure medication right. I had some problems with dizziness while lifting weights and after playing racquetball in the past. My assumption was that my weight loss and diet improvements were resulting in less need for the drugs. We tried switching to some different medications but they weren't keeping my numbers down well enough. But I think we finally figured it out. The problem was that I also take medication for urinary problems do to an enlarged prostate. But that same drug can also be prescribed for lowering blood pressure. I was taking both of them in the morning so when I was working out at lunch, I was getting the double whammy effect. The solution turned out to be quite simple. I take the prostate medication at night instead of the morning. That seems to have done the trick. I sure wish I could dump these drugs like I did the Zocor, but I guess it's just a condition that in my case can't be solved with exercise and diet. Bummer!

I played back to back racquetball matches Tuesday and today. Ron kicked my butt Tuesday but I took two out of three from Neal today. That's the third time in a row that I've won the first two games before losing the third. I think that's a function of a bit of a mental let down after knowing I've got the two wins under my belt, AND I'm a bit tired at that point. But like Meatloaf sings--two out of three ain't bad!

It's been a few days since I've done my pushups--I'll make a point of doing a few sets tomorrow. The bike has stayed in the garage this week due to the threat of rain. I'm a fair weather commuter for now.

No comments: